RE-WIRING A VINTAGE LAMP - step by step






I have written simple instructions 
explaining how I re-wired a vintage
lamp that had cord damage




Have you ever come across a pretty vintage lamp,
 that caught your eye with a great price tag?


But the wiring is also vintage so you decide to pass because you think to yourself
*this thing may burn my house down*




Well here's how I solve that problem.
Before I started I made sure the the lamp was unplugged.
First I removed the finial by unscrewing it, then the lamp
 shade, and light bulb.



With a flat head screw driver I remove the little screw at the socket base SEE BELOW, then unscrewed the socket from the threaded post.



See the hidden wire decay, yikes!


I separated the top of the socket case from the bottom
by gently prying with a flat head screw driver then pulling apart.





The upper case is a sleeve you just pull off.



Next I loosened the 2 screwed wire connections with my screwdriver, and prepared to remove the old wire. At this point I kept all the parts in order as I pulled the wire out, because in a minute I was going to be threading a new wire
 back through all the different parts in the right order.


I pulled the old wire all the way out the bottom of your lamp
and tossed it away.

**************************************





I had a replacement cord ready, (with stripped copper tips)
and started working backwards.


Guiding the new wire thru the base



and up thru the neck of my lamp.
BELOW you can see my stripped wire ends. I removed 
a short section of the outer plastic off the copper wires.


I made sure to threat the wire thru all the different little parts. this lamp had several washers, a threaded rod, and a harp (the thing that holds the lamp shade)


I screwed the socket base onto the threaded rod 
and re-install the little screw. 



Almost done!


I twisted my copper wire ends clockwise then curl
them over to fit on the connection screws. 



With the flat head screw driver I tightened up the screws,



sliding the upper sleeve back into place. It makes a little
click sound once it connects back to the socket base.



I screwed the light bulb back in and re-install
the shade and finial before plugging her back in.



It took me way longer to write this tutorial than
it takes to actually rewire a lamp.


********************************************

Have you stopped into firstfinds hardware store lately?
Here are just some of the items available for your projects.





Pin It Now!

Email your Questions or Comments

Name

Email *

Message *

POPULAR ARTICLES

Your first stop for vintage hardware