REMOVING WATER MARKS, ADDING APPLIQUES, & CHANGING HARDWARE



I'm sharing with you how a simple three drawer dresser
gets a complete makeover in my house. Everything from
a new color and hardware to appliques and how to remove
white water marks from the top surface.

 
The first thing I always do when working on a piece of 
furniture is to do all the repairs. Below you can see all the 
issues that had to be fixed, replaced, or addressed.

The color I went with was a mix of equal parts of Pure White
 and Provence, both ASCP colors. The original wood knobs
 were removed and the holes were used for a new set of black handles.



BEFORE                            AFTER

I have never been fond of the screw covers used on this era of maple furniture,
and some were missing on the front so I fixed that with a cover up.
AKA - wood applique



I ended up painting the top of this dresser but it had some bad water marks on it that I removed first.
**************************************

To remove water marks on a lacquered furniture you will need:
a hot iron and a lint-free cloth


On top of the stain placed the cloth and then the iron and move back and forth.
I did leave my iron in place for some of the more stubborn areas.

Be cautious with your first attempt.

It does take some time for the marks to come out but it really works.
I found if I let the area cool between attempts it worked better.

BEFORE                                      AFTER



I sanded the edges with 220 grit paper before waxing to get the distressed look.
I got a beautiful shine from buffing the wax after I applied it.


******************************************************************************

Stop into FIRSTFINDS HARDWARE STORE to see
if we have any vintage hardware for your next project.

CLICK EACH PHOTO FOR MORE INFORMATION
       
CLICK EACH PHOTO FOR MORE INFORMATION  

       


Pin It Now!

Email your Questions or Comments

Name

Email *

Message *

POPULAR ARTICLES

Your first stop for vintage hardware